I immediately got goosebumps and teared up, as I am prone to do. And then I almost threw up.
It took me a minute to understand why I had that reaction, and then I got it.
It could be true. The child that I will be allowed to raise/ care for/ love/ adore/ share my life with could already be born. Or, could be born today. Or, tomorrow. I started thinking about the incredible decision that my child's birth parents could be making today. Or tomorrow.
And, then I started thinking about the child. Is he wrapped on his mother's or grandmother's back as he should be? Or, is he lying alone in a crib? Or, is he being dropped off at a local kebele today? Is he being put to breast or is there a bottle propped up in his tiny little mouth?
Is he dressed in warm layers, or is he wrapped in a threadbare scarf? Is he being cherished as he should be? As every child should be?
Maybe his mother is ill. Maybe he is ill. Maybe he is in a crowded Addis hospital at this very moment. Is he getting the medication he desperately needs, or is there no access to it because the electricity is out?
I think this might be the equivalent of pregnancy. The worrying, the wondering, the waiting... I wish there was something I could do. Like take pre-natal vitamins or go to Lamaze class. Unfortunately, these are the adoption realities.
These things are weighing very heavily, but then I thought today....
maybe my baby was born????!!!!!!
Isn't it absolutely amazing to think that this could be true?
Process update: the last missing piece to this complicated jigsaw puzzle is still my home study document. It is as-we-speak in the hands of the IL DCFS. It should be evaluated and certified within the next few weeks, at which point I will happily/eagerly/anxiously officially go on the wait list for an infant (0-12 month) boy or girl.
Process update: the last missing piece to this complicated jigsaw puzzle is still my home study document. It is as-we-speak in the hands of the IL DCFS. It should be evaluated and certified within the next few weeks, at which point I will happily/eagerly/anxiously officially go on the wait list for an infant (0-12 month) boy or girl.
I remember having moments like this during my process with Pacey...it is overwhelming isn't it!!! Yay for your home study almost being done!! Here comes that wait list!
ReplyDeleteI am at the exact same stage and feel the same way about my daughter. Those thoughts can keep you up at night if you are not careful! =) But in a way that you can not wrap your head around! I have no idea what is happening with my homestudy right now---I am hoping it is typed up and getting approved and then sent to IAN soon. I think about my daughter all the time. It is natural I think. It is too big to truly understand. I think about my future daughters' birth mom. If my daughter is not born yet, how is her mom feeling. Is there someone on the other side of the world getting to feel my daughter kick right now??? It is crazy and amazing. Good luck. The wait is driving me batty!
ReplyDeletegood post, b!
ReplyDelete