Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tough decisions


I have never been a cat person.

But about eleven years ago someone dropped off a weeks-old kitten at my apartment, and after a series of events she ended up staying. Miss Virginia has been with me through a lot... a fire, divorce, lots of moves, changes in career, etc... While we have had our moments, she has been a constant in my life and she is undeniably cute and cuddly.

Last night she hurt herself pretty badly. We have been to the kitty ER last night and to the vet this morning. They believe she has torn ALL of the ligaments in her knee (ACL, PCL, and laterals). She is in so much pain. She hasn't moved from her spot underneath the bookcase or uttered a sound since we came home from the vet this morning.

We're supposed to meet with an orthopedic surgeon this week to talk about our options. I don't know that she is a candidate for surgery. I do know that I am not a candidate for her surgery. The (overwhelmingly large by estimate) expense is not one that I can take on right now given my adoption expenses and the unknowns of Little B's homecoming and potential medical expenses.

I hate this. I hate that she is in so much pain and that there is nothing I can do for her. And that there could be a solution that I would have to decline due to money.

You animal lovers out there can sympathize with this dilemma... the rest of you probably don't get it at all. But, trust me. It's horrible.

For now, I will keep giving her tastes of peanut butter... her all-time favorite thing.


10 comments:

  1. I am so sad for you too:-( Sweet kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seriously hoping there's an affordable solution - I KNOW how tough this is, I had a sick kitty for a while and I would cry to see her feeling so bad. So so sorry that you're going through this :( Keep me posted...

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry for these horribly tough decisions. Praying that there is another, more affordable route. Your kitty looks like both of mine...She's very sweet :)

    (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW ... we were there 1 year ago (Feb 2nd) with Jazz. Dr. said either cancer or metabolic disorder. $1000 of tests to see, and then limited treatment options.
    She was in pain and was so sad. She was dehydrated and we couldn't get liquids in her. An IV in the hospital was an option...but then what?
    My vet and I made the joint decision. It was one of the hardest ones of my life.
    Big hugs Sara, big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry for you two. Many hugs and good thoughts coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry b! i know that this is super tough! thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :(

    Make the decision that is best for you and for Virginia and just let her know how much you love her. She's had a better life than she would have have otherwise no matter what decision you end up making.

    Do you think Treehouse could help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry you're struggling with this right now. You'll make the right decision...I know you will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara, you know how sorry I am for you and the decision you're wrestling with. I know you'll make the right decision and find peace with it. xoxo Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sara that is heart breaking. What a hard decision, what you decide will be the right one. (I love my pets and have shelled out what i think is way too much money on them sometimes)

    ReplyDelete