Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

A day late.

I spent so much of my day yesterday (World AIDS Day) thinking about our family in Ethiopia, a country very much affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis.

We likely have family infected or affected by AIDS and without medication, because this is unfortunately the standard. I found myself angry and fighting back tears a lot of the day. The weight of the disparity in health care is so overwhelming and sad.

I am troubled about what to do. I have intentions of going to grad school for global health and (hopefully) working in advocacy at some point. But what can I do NOW? Of course I make the meager donations I can make. Of course I advocate -on my very small scale- with people in my life to lessen the stigma of HIV/AIDS. But what else?

This is a rambling post. But I guess that's where my head is... rambl-y, sad, and feeling a little stuck about what I can do. I hate that.

I am praying for:
-Big pharmaceutical companies to step up and stop trying to profit from HIV/AIDS drugs.
-People to get tested. Get tested. Get tested.
-Little and big people alike to stop suffering from the stigma that surrounds their status.
-No more babies to be needlessly infected at birth or by breastfeeding.

2 comments:

  1. I understand wanting to change the world in a BIG way, but do not doubt that meager donations add up to BIG donations, prayers matter, and advocating in any small way may change the world for one.

    ReplyDelete