Baby boy had his first big ow-ee this week and momma got that phone call you never want to get: Your boy's hurt, come quickly. :(
He is fine now, apparently thanks to some awesome Puerto Rican wonder ointment... must look that stuff up! This pic does no justice to the size of that goose egg. I mean, you've seen this kid's head. I didn't think it could get any bigger, but oh yes... it did!Attachment:
I have started noticing that Abel is experiencing more and more stranger anxiety. And beyond that, has been more clingy in general. I have a theory. Let me know what you think.
Abel came home at six months. During the time of 'normal' (for lack of a better word) stranger anxiety, he was just getting to know his primary caregiver. It makes sense to me that this could be delayed a little based on his timeline (versus a regular timeline of developmental milestones). He has always preferred me and has acted 'appropriately' towards me (again, whatever that means!), but this behavior is new.
I'm looking at it as positive. He knows who I am to him now and he doesn't want us to be apart. While it can be stressful at times (he just started crying when I leave day care--sad!), I think this is showing improvement for us.
That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
i don't know but he is stinkin' cute and i love the elmo chair!!
ReplyDeleteSara,
ReplyDeleteI would have to agree. Between moving from the orphanage to CC...then to having different nannies and families come and go....He was used to seeing different faces. Then he comes home and start out at day 1 again at 6 months old. I agree that it is positive in the fact that he is showing his trust in you. From what I know and you know, this phase is short and will get better. But I am sure the fact that he is going through it at a older age is harder. I think you are right-on with your feelings. I am sorry he cries now when you leave and is having a hard time. No fun for Momma.
But on a lighter note- adore those Holiday jammies!
If he is truly showing "stranger anxiety," then I say it's totally normal (and healthy). Vivi went through a couple of different "phases" of this; the last one being when she was around 4 years old. You WANT him to WANT and NEED you. His unwillingness to go to just anyone is a good thing. However, if what he shows is "anxious attachment," that isn't necessarily a good thing. I think the biggest thing is that you are aware of his behaviors and responsive to it...that will get both of you far!
ReplyDeleteI think your theory is right (!)...that he wants YOU...and only YOU. So sorry he got such a big owie!
ReplyDeletePoor little Man! what a boo boo
ReplyDeleteBoth Belay and Adi go in and out of this stage. But did it around 12-15 months and again a little later. Adi hopes off to preschool without a care in the world 90% of the days but has those few others where she needs me and only me. and She is about to be 3! and has been with me since in utero. So I think its totally normal. Belay too, went through crazy clingy to dad phase. Then back and forth. Your natural instincts are what will get you through this.
Try not to think too much, at least that's been my goal. But i know it should be harder with our adopted children, but I try not to always think that way. if that makes sense??
Opps. I must have posted under my husbands super secrete alias name Mathew...that last post was me, Jane.
ReplyDeleteI think he's also at a very typical "stranger anxiety" age as well. You are clearly not a stranger.
ReplyDelete