Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Two Months Home

We recently celebrated two months home, finally together as a family. If it’s possible, I do believe the kid gets cuter with every passing day. His personality is really emerging, which has been fun to watch. He is a clever, busy kid with a smile that lights up the room.

I spent some time looking back on the early photos of us together, both in Ethiopia and at home. It shocks me to see how fast he’s grown and to remember how I felt then, and how I am becoming more and more comfortable in this new role as Abel’s momma.

He is a joy. We have had our moments of nap-fighting tears with sharp elbows digging in to my chest, but those are the exceptions. We’re both new in our roles, and in this small family. But we’re both learning, and we’re both working hard. He makes me laugh every day. He makes me feel grateful every day.

I am continually amazed at his resilience and his zest for life. One of the things I’ve enjoyed most about being a parent is being the one to see his first moments in the morning. The child wakes up loving life and ready to face the day. You just can’t help but catch that contagious smile. Yes, believe it, I have been spotted smiling in the morning. Who knew? : -)

One of the surprises is the amount of time that I am forced to slow down. I was anticipating life as run-run-run busy, but have been pleasantly surprised to actually have more downtime. Because of Abel’s reflux, I hold him upright for 20-30 minutes after he takes a bottle. This has become my favorite time, especially right before bedtime. I rarely in my life have taken time to be still at the end of the day like this. I now look forward to this peaceful, thoughtful time all day long.

Some Abel facts at eight months old, and two months home-

-He now has FOUR teeth.

-He is ALL over the place. The other day he stood straight up from a sitting position and took a step. (I know, gasp!)

- He is eating some solids. He really loves sweet potatoes, carrots and pears. Every night he squishes his face up with the first bite. I think he forgets that he likes it. :)

-He still hates baths, but loves swimming. Umm, hello… it’s all water, kid.

-He has this toy that moves and talks. When it’s getting ready to turn itself off, it says “Buh-Bye”. It said it the other day and Abel promptly said, “Bye!” I have to hear it again to be sure it wasn’t a fluke, but WOW did I do a double take!

-He has gained four pounds (current weight: TWENTY POUNDS) and grown 1.5 inches since coming home. The jammies we took with us to Ethiopia no longer have to have the sleeves rolled. In fact, his big feet almost don’t fit them.

-He has stopped sucking his fingers after every bite of food. It’s done wonders for our after-meal clean ups!

-He still sucks those two fingers, but does it less frequently. I hope it’s a sign that he is feeling more secure and needing to self-soothe less and less.

-He is a very busy little guy. Even strangers make comments about how, err… active he is.

-The quiet, squeaky boy is no more. This one yells, squeals and blows raspberries with abandon!

-He has started singing himself to sleep and sometimes as he is falling asleep, he smiles a little. It kills me. Every time.

-He is extremely ticklish and has the best chuckle.

Enjoy some video of then and now. He is wearing the same shirt (thank you, Ruthanne [and I can only assume the talented Jill]. I will CRY when it doesn’t fit him anymore!)—note the thighs on this kid now!

5 comments:

  1. Love reading this post and just bring him by with a new shirt and a smile anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is amazing!!! What a little mover and a shaker! Isn't it crazy how much they change and learn so quickly?! It's so fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this video! He is SO healthy and happy! There are plenty more shirts where that came from...just say the word (I'll get Jill right on it. lol)
    (I need to know what that song is, please)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot believe how much he's changed! 20 pounds??? What a kid.

    ReplyDelete